Our dentist and team love helping children take their first steps towards a lifetime of healthy smiles. We are committed to helping them learn good oral habits early, and do everything possible to build positive, trusting relationships so that they will feel comfortable in our office and while receiving the care they need.
We want both you and your child to feel at ease in our office, especially during your child’s first visit. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that children visit the dentist for the first time within six months of when their first tooth erupts, or no later than their first birthday. These first dental visits rarely involve care, and instead are designed to help your child become comfortable in the dental office so that they will not feel anxious or afraid in the future when they need treatment.
Your child’s first visit will include:
- An introduction to the dentist and staff
- A review of your child’s and your family’s health history
- A discussion about your child’s oral habits, including pacifier use, their diet and their general development
- A gentle exam of your child’s teeth and gums
- Advice on brushing and flossing, fluoride intake and how to prevent oral injury
- A review of your child’s current oral health
- Recommendations about oral habits, dental hygiene, diet and pacifier use
- Recommendations about regular dental visits (usually once every six months)
- Answering any questions or concerns that you may have
We cannot emphasize enough the importance of helping your child remain calm. If you are calm, your child will feel calm. We encourage you to help you child develop positive associates with visiting the dentist by remaining calm and positive yourself, avoiding threatening language (words like “blood,” needles,” “drilling”, etc.), and by providing positive explanations about what will happen during their appointment.
Remember, our team is here to be a resource for you. Please call us if you have any questions or concerns, or if you would like to get some tips on helping your child stay calm during their initial visit. We are always happy to help.
Give us a call at 860-354-3737 for more information about your child’s first dental visit in New Milford, Connecticut, and to make their appointment with Dr. Glenn M. Wilson.