Good Diet and Healthy Teeth
Diet and nutrition have a powerful impact on your child’s oral and overall health. By helping your child maintain a good diet, you can also help them keep their teeth, mouth and smile healthy. The lack of good nutrition has been linked to an increased risk of developing oral cancer and periodontal disease, as well as to defects in the tooth enamel and an increased risk of tooth decay, increased acidity in the mouth and a greater buildup of plaque on the teeth.
As each person has a unique metabolism, you may find that some nutrients and foods benefit your child more than other nutrients and foods. When you visit our office, Dr. Glenn M. Wilson will review your child’s diet and nutrition with you and perform a full examination of their mouth. He will then be able to make any necessary recommendations for improving their diet and nutrition in order to improve their oral health.
Our Tips to Ensure Your Child Has a Health Diet
There are also a few steps that you can take on your own to make sure your child has a healthy diet. These include:
- Reading food labels
- Limiting your child’s consumption of sugars and carbohydrates
- Providing your child with fresh foods and vegetables
- Limiting your child’s intake of soda and other sugary drinks and having them drink more water
- Providing your child with food that is high in calcium and phosphorus
- Helping your child brush after each meal and floss daily
Schedule an Appointment With Us Today
If you have any questions about healthy and nutritious diets and to schedule a consultation with our dentist in New Milford, Connecticut, contact our office today at 860-354-3737.